Moving Posts to WordPress.com Tuesday 2009-10-27
This is absolutely wonderful. The easy with which you can move posts from one WP blog to another. I am thinking of moving my private blog posts to a wordpress.org hosted blog, and use PetitOn just for tech stuff.
But how do I move my family posts to the new blog? Do I have to tinker with the database, maybe doing a database dump using the phpAdmin interface and then importing it to the database at wordpress.com? And how do I move all images in my posts to the new blog and place them back in the posts?
It shows to be very simple. WordPress has an export facility to export the whole blog in an XML file, a kind of backup. The generated file can then be imported to the new blog. In this case I only want to move posts from my special family category, and when you export, you cannot select which category.
What you can select is which author’s posts you want to export, so here is the solution, step by step.
I’ll assume that you have already created a new blog at wordpress.com.
1. In your original WordPress admin interface create a new user, named for example “export”.
2. Go to Edit posts and filter the posts by the category you want to export, i.e. “Family”.
3. Select all posts, select “Edit” from Bulk Actions and change the author for all posts to the new user.
4. Now go to Export and select the “export” user from the Author drop down.
5. Click “download export file” and save the file to your local hard disk.
This file now contains all you need to move that category to another WP blog, so you’re almost done.
6. Go to your wordpress.com blog and log in to the dashboard
7. Select Tools/Import and chose WordPress from the list
8. Click “Chose file” and file the file on your hard disk
9. Click “Upload file and import” and you are done.
You may see a message telling you WP is processing, and will send you a message when it is all done.
This may be a false statement, and you can go back to view your new site. Chances are your posts are already there. That’s what happened to me.
For some reason all categories from the old blog are inserted, albeit empty, into the new blog, so you might want to edit categories and delete the once you don’t use.
How about the images?
Well, if you look at your new blog, the images are there and you jump for joy, but a little bit premature.
If you look at the image links, you’ll find they are linked in from your old blog. If you can afford that, you don’t have to do anything more. Probably you want to remove the moved post from your original blog, or maybe shut it down altogether. In that case you have to move images and other media manually.